Having dinner at Spilios Taverna Falasarna is an incredible experience. The food is superb. If you’re in Crete and spending a few days in the stunning bay of Falassarna, or you’re on your way to Elafonisi or Balos Beach, there’s a place in the village where you should stop for a taste of Crete. That’s Spilios Taverna… or Taverna Spilios, as you wish!
Disclaimer: Posts include affiliate links to products or services. I might earn a commission if you make a purchase.
Spilios Taverna, Falasarna
ARE YOU PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO CRETE LAST MINUTE?
Be sure to book accommodation and tours in Crete ahead of time to ensure availability!
📍 Top tours in Crete:
– Full-day Samaria Gorge trek (#1 tour in Crete!)
– Boat cruise to Balos Lagoon & Gramvousa (another top-selling tour!)
– Boat Trip to Spinalonga with swim stop (most popular in Agios!)
– Ticket to Knossos Archaeological Site (top tour in Heraklion)
– Day trip to Elafonisi (a must in Chania!)
🛌 Top picks for places to stay in Crete:
– Lyttos Beach (top beachfront hotel in Hersonissos)
– SanSal Boutique Hotel (in Chania Old Town with a pool!)
– Grecotel Lux Me White Palace (the best resort in Rethymnon)
🚗 Looking for the best way to get around Crete? Check rental car rates for Crete now!
💳 Use WISE as a digital card and top-up from the app no matter where you are. Wise is one of the best cards for overseas travel!
Spilios Taverna: Top Restaurant in Falasarna
Spilios Taverna’s kitchen specializes in local dishes made with fresh and seasonal Cretan ingredients.
The restaurant is located a few meters above the sea and offers awe-inspiring beach views.
Being Falasarna the most privileged spot to witness the sunset on the island, booking a table for dinner guarantees the perfect romantic dinner.
What Dishes You Should Try at Spilios Taverna Falasarna
- Homemade fava, capers, olives, and grilled bread with olive oil and fresh thyme.
- Moussaka (the best moussaka I’ve ever tried in Greece is theirs!).
- Stewed rabbit.
- Grilled lamb with wild greens, lemon, and olive oil.
- Artemis salad (with figs, nuts, and local graviera cheese).
For those visiting with kids, the restaurant offers an open terrace, a garden for them to play, and a mysterious cave (spilia in Greek) to explore.
Besides, Spilios Taverna serves unique dishes for children, keeping them low on spices and size.
Everything is genuine and straightforward. And, as the owner mentioned, some of the recipes were passed on by his mother.
Arrive at dusk to admire the whole Falasarna Bay from above. You will be short of words to describe such beauty.
I adore returning to Falasarna to sit at one of their tables, enjoy the sunset, and indulge in their food.
Spilios Taverna is run by Michalis and his wife Elena. He is a gentleman that makes you feel at home treating you as a friend.
When kids are at the table, he will ensure they get the best service ever.
Complimentary homemade dessert and raki at the end of the dinner are always perfect. Even children can make a toast with fake raki as well.
To the ancient Greeks, hospitality was a divine right. The host was expected to make sure the needs of his guests were met too.
The ancient Greek term Xenia (ξενία, guest-friendship) expressed this ritualized guest-friendship relation. This is the Law in Greece; this is the Law in Tavern Spilios.
They gave me a beautiful pottery souvenir to take home and cook my own moussaka (it will never be as good as theirs).
Spilios Taverna is located on the road to the beach, Falassarna, Crete, Greece
You can book a table at this number: +30 2822 041010 or check their online menu here.
Read more about Crete
- Top Nudist Beaches in Crete: Complete Insider’s Guide
- 17 Picture-Perfect Luxury Resorts in Crete for a Top-Class Experience!
- Discover + 45 Most Gorgeous Beaches in Crete (A guide by an insider!)
- Where to Eat the Most Delicious Gyro in Crete
- Fabulous Beach Bars in Crete for Your Next Adventure on the Island!
🛌 Suggested Accommodation in Chania
- Budget: Polixeny’s Suites in the old town.
- Mid-range: Elia Estia in the old town.
- Luxury: Domes Noruz next to the sea.
- Check also this Chania Accommodation Guide and Boutique Hotels in Chania.
🗺️ More resources to book your trip to Crete
- 🛫 CheapOAir: Search for cheap flights.
- 🛥️ Ferryhopper: Find convenient ferry tickets.
- 🚕 Welcome Pickups: Pre-paid airport transfers.
- 🚘 Discover Cars: Car rental in Crete.
- 📍 Get Your Guide: Adventures and cultural experiences.
- Safety Wing: Never travel without insurance.
- 💳 Wise: The best credit card for travel in Greece.
Pin This Guide to the Spilios Taverna Falasarna, Crete
You might also want to read these posts about Crete’s regions:
- 52 Things to Do in Lasithi Region
- 52 Things to Do in Heraklion Region
- 52 Things to Do in Rethymnon Region
- 52 Things to Do in Chania Region
About my blog:
I moved to Crete in 2016. During these years, I learned much about the island.
In Crete, I juggle being a solo mom, hosting culinary tours, and writing for several travel media.
I’ve written for Greek Reporter, published travel guides about Greece, co-authored DK Eyewitness Top 10 Crete, and had more glasses of frappe than any regular person could ever handle.