If you need a break from all the stunning beaches, refreshing swimming pools, and the unique archaeological sites of Crete, or if you’re wondering what things you can do in Heraklion with kids, you should know that there’s a theme park in Crete that might be what you’re looking for, Dinosauria Park! In this article, I will tell you all about our visit to this prehistoric experience!
Disclaimer: Posts include affiliate links to products or services. I might earn a commission if you make a purchase.
Dinosauria Park, an Interactive Theme Park in Crete
ARE YOU PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO CRETE LAST MINUTE?
Be sure to book accommodation and tours in Crete ahead of time to ensure availability!
📍 Top tours in Crete:
– Full-day Samaria Gorge trek (#1 tour in Crete!)
– Boat cruise to Balos Lagoon & Gramvousa (another top-selling tour!)
– Boat Trip to Spinalonga with swim stop (most popular in Agios!)
– Ticket to Knossos Archaeological Site (top tour in Heraklion)
– Day trip to Elafonisi (a must in Chania!)
🛌 Top picks for places to stay in Crete:
– Lyttos Beach (top beachfront hotel in Hersonissos)
– SanSal Boutique Hotel (in Chania Old Town with a pool!)
– Grecotel Lux Me White Palace (the best resort in Rethymnon)
🚗 Looking for the best way to get around Crete? Check rental car rates for Crete now!
💳 Use WISE as a digital card and top-up from the app no matter where you are. Wise is one of the best cards for overseas travel!
Get your copy now and unlock the secrets of Crete’s capital like a local!
One of the many activities families can take advantage of, and that certainly our own family enjoyed in Crete, was a visit to Dinosauria Park.
Dinosauria is an interactive theme park near the island’s capital, where kids and adults can learn about dinosaurs; it’s located in Gouves, just 18 km from Heraklion.
The theme park features a fantastic museum, excellent fossil replicas, and animatronics. Besides, each stage of your visit includes very exhaustive information boards. Dinosauria Park displays the creatures along a natural trail, accurately recreating their environment.
Among the many replicas, kids loved the T-rex, the velociraptor, and the triceratops. Other models include the oviraptor, the stegosaurus, the mosasaurs, and the mammoth!
Dinosaur General Hospital
Next, you can find the Dinosaur General Hospital, a section inside the park where well-prepared staff explain differences between species to kids and show how life began for dinosaurs.
Children will enjoy the hi-tech labs for dino egg hatchery and the special treatment given to newly born creatures and injured ones, too!
Moreover, spaces are primarily devoted to creative activities, workshops, and a sandbox for kids to pretend they’re archaeologists discovering hidden bones and treasures.
A 5D cinema features themed films (an extra fee applies), which kids enjoy after a long walk through the past in the dinosaur garden.
Finally, at the end of the trail, a Dino Snack Bar will wait for parents to enjoy snacks and drinks while kids keep having fun in the playground.
A dinosaur gift shop has a variety of educational games at very convenient prices. Get your Archaeology Level One Diploma at the end of the tour and head to the CretAquarium right after.
This wonderful marine environment is just around the corner. Or even pay a visit to the magnificent archaeological site of Knossos. Anything you choose will be a great way to end your fun and different day on the island.
Therefore, remember, the weather is very hot in summer, so don’t forget your hat and your water bottle wherever you go to Dinosauria Park!
Dinosauria Theme Park
International Exhibition Center
Gouves, Heraklion, Crete (+30) 2810 332089
Gouves is a town located on the northern coast of the island of Crete, Greece. Specifically, it is situated in Heraklion, Crete’s largest region. Heraklion city is approximately 18 kilometers (11 miles) to the west of Gouves. The town is easily accessible from Heraklion by road, providing a convenient location for those exploring the northern coast of Crete.
The Gouves area has many other entertainment areas and theme parks, including the well-known CretAquarium. Overall, this region offers a well-rounded experience for those exploring the northern coast of Crete.
Read more about Crete
- Best Places in Crete for Families: Where to Stay and Top Family Resorts
- The Best Things to Do in Heraklion with Children for a Super Vacation in Crete!
- The Best Things to Do in Chania with Children for a Super Vacation in Crete!
- Fun Things to Do in Crete with Kids: Getting Ready for a Fantastic Family Vacation!
🛌 Suggested accommodation in Heraklion:
- Affordable: Rea Hotel in the city center.
- Mid-range: Capsis Astoria in town.
- Luxury: GDM Megaron H. M. Hotel in the center.
- Check also Heraklion Accommodation and Best Places to Stay in Crete.
🗺️ More resources to book your trip to Crete:
- 🛫 Search for cheap flights with CheapOAir.
- 🛥️ Find convenient ferry tickets with Ferryhopper.
- 🚕 Book airport transfer with Welcome Pickups.
- 🚘 Rent a car in Crete with Discover Cars.
- 📍 Join adventures and cultural experiences with Get Your Guide.
- Never leave without travel insurance Safety Wing.
- 💳 Carry the best credit card for travel with Wise.
Pin this Guide to Visit Dinosauria Park in Heraklion, Crete!
You might also want to read these posts about Crete’s regions:
- 52 Things to Do in Lasithi Region
- 52 Things to Do in Heraklion Region
- 52 Things to Do in Rethymnon Region
- 52 Things to Do in Chania Region
About my blog:
I moved to Crete in 2016. During these years, I learned much about the island.
In Crete, I juggle being a solo mom, hosting culinary tours, and writing for several travel media.
I’ve written for Greek Reporter, published travel guides about Greece, co-authored DK Eyewitness Top 10 Crete, and had more glasses of frappe than any regular person could ever handle.