If you need a break from all the stunning beaches, refreshing swimming pools, and the unique archaeological sites of Crete, or if you’re wondering what are the things you can do in Heraklion with kids, you should know that there’s a theme park in Crete that might be what you’re looking for, Dinosauria Park! In this article, I will tell you all about our visit to this prehistoric experience!
Disclaimer: Posts include affiliate links to products or services. I might earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost.
Dinosauria, an Interactive Theme Park in Crete
ARE YOU PLANNING YOUR TRIP TO CRETE LAST MINUTE?
Be sure to book accommodation and tours in Crete ahead of time to ensure availability!
📍 Top tours in Crete:
– Full-day Samaria Gorge trek (#1 tour in Crete!)
– Boat cruise to Balos Lagoon & Gramvousa (another top-selling tour!)
– Boat Trip to Spinalonga with swim stop (most popular in Agios!)
– Ticket to Knossos Archaeological Site (top tour in Heraklion)
– Day trip to Elafonisi (a must in Chania!)
🛌 Top picks for places to stay in Crete:
– Lyttos Beach (top beachfront hotel in Hersonissos)
– SanSal Boutique Hotel (in Chania old town and with a pool!)
– Grecotel Lux Me White Palace (the best resort in Rethymnon)
🚗 Looking for the best way to get around Crete? Check rental car rates for Crete now!
💳 Use WISE as a digital card and top-up from the app no matter where you are. Wise is one of the best cards for overseas travel!
One of the many activities that families can take advantage of, and that certainly our own family enjoyed on Crete was a visit to Dinosauria.
Dinosauria is an interactive theme park, not far from the capital of the island, where kids and adults can learn all about dinosaurs; it’s located in Gournes, just 15 km away from Heraklion.
The theme park features a fantastic museum, great fossil replicas, and animatronics. Besides, each stage of your visit includes very exhaustive information boards. The park displays the creatures along a natural trail within an accurate recreation of their environment.
Among the many replicas, kids loved the T-rex, the velociraptor, and the triceratops. Other models include the oviraptor, the stegosaurus, the mosasaurs, and the mammoth, of course!
Dinosaur General Hospital
Next, you can find the Dinosaur General Hospital, a section inside the park where well-prepared staff explains to kids differences about the species as well as show how life began for dinosaurs.
Children will enjoy the hi-tech labs for dino egg hatchery, as well as the special treatment being given to newly born creatures and injured ones too!
Moreover, there are spaces specially devoted to creative activities, workshops, and a sandbox for kids to pretend they’re archaeologists discovering hidden bones and treasures.
A 5D cinema features themed films (an extra fee applies) which kids enjoy after a long walk through the past in the dinosaur garden.
Finally, at the end of the trail, a Dino Snack Bar will be waiting for parents to enjoy snacks and drinks while kids keep having fun in the playground.
A dinosaur gift shop has a variety of educational games at very convenient prices. Get your Archaeology Level One Diploma at the end of the tour and head to the CretAquarium, right after.
This wonderful marine environment is just around the corner. Or even pay a visit to the magnificent archaeological site of Knossos. Anything you choose will be a great way to end your fun and different day on the island.
Therefore, remember, the weather is very hot during the Summer months, don’t forget your hat and your water bottle wherever you might be going!
Dinosauria Theme Park
International Exhibition Center
Gournes, Heraklion, Crete (+30) 2810 332089
Read more about Crete
- Best Places in Crete for Families: Where to Stay and Top Family Resorts
- The Best Things to Do in Heraklion with Children for a Super Vacation in Crete!
- The Best Things to Do in Chania with Children for a Super Vacation in Crete!
- Fun Things to Do in Crete with Kids: Getting Ready for a Fantastic Family Vacation!
🛌 Suggested accommodation in Heraklion:
- Affordable: Rea Hotel in the city center.
- Mid-range: Capsis Astoria in town.
- Luxury: GDM Megaron H. M. Hotel in the center.
- Check also Heraklion Accommodation and Best Places to Stay in Crete.
🗺️ More resources to book your trip to Crete:
- 🛫 Search for cheap flights with CheapOAir.
- 🛥️ Find convenient ferry tickets with Ferryhopper.
- 🚕 Book airport transfer with Welcome Pickups.
- 🚘 Rent a car in Crete with Discover Cars.
- 📍 Join adventures and cultural experiences with Get Your Guide.
- Never leave without travel insurance Safety Wing.
- 💳 Carry the best credit card for travel with Wise.
Pin this Guide to Visit Dinosauria in Heraklion, Crete!
You might also want to read these posts about Crete’s regions:
- 52 Things to Do in Lasithi Region
- 52 Things to Do in Heraklion Region
- 52 Things to Do in Rethymnon Region
- 52 Things to Do in Chania Region
About my blog:
I moved to Crete in 2016. During these years, I learned much about the island.
In Crete, I juggle being a solo mom, hosting culinary tours, and writing for several travel blogs.
I’ve written for Greek Reporter, published travel guides about Greece, and had more glasses of frappe than any regular person could ever handle.
BOOK YOUR TRIP!
Plan ahead to get convenient offers and deals
I might earn a commission if you make a purchase through any of these links and at no extra cost to you!
Thanks for supporting my constant commitment to creating thorough free content!
FLIGHTS: Find the best rates on airline tickets.
FERRY TICKETS: Book your ferry tickets here.
TRAIN & BUS TICKETS: Compare fees here.
ACCOMMODATION: Find affordable hotels and rental homes here.
CAR RENTAL: Get a car hire quote.
TOURS: Find the best local experiences.
TRAVEL INSURANCE: Don’t leave without travel insurance.
LUGGAGE STORAGE: Store your bags for the day.
CREDIT CARD: Wise is accepted worldwide, and fees are small.