Santorini, Mykonos, Rhodes, Corfu… certain Greek Islands are perennially popular with overseas visitors.
With their crystal clear waters, stunning white sand, picture-perfect landscapes, and fascinating history, it’s no wonder that Greece’s numerous islands attract many people year in, year out.
But if you want to beat the crowds and discover off-the-path Greek islands, it’s well worth looking into some of these lesser-known options!
Disclaimer: Posts include affiliate links to products or services. I might earn a commission if you make a purchase.
Lesser-Known Greek Islands
🧿 PLANNING A LAST-MINUTE TRIP TO GREECE?
Be sure to book accommodation and tours in Greece ahead of time to ensure availability!
Lesser-Known Greek Islands That You Should Visit… and Why!
The following are some of the most beautiful islands in Greece that have managed to remain relatively free from mass tourism. In no particular order, these are three of my favorite ones.
Best Greek Island For Foodies… Sifnos
He veered away from the everyday simple recipes at the time, opting for more exotic ingredients and ways of cooking instead.
Now, people flock to Sifnos for its food. The islanders produce their own terracotta cookware dishes, which are used for all sorts of recipes, especially hearty stews like revithada and soups packed with chickpeas, one of the most commonly used ingredients on the island.
While you’re there, be sure to try their sweet treats too. The almond-based amygdalota and their honey cheesecake known as melopita are delicious.
Aside from the food, you’ll also find some incredible, unspoiled sandy beaches and a calming atmosphere.
Where to Stay in Sifnos
Check out these Sifnos accommodations…
Luxury accommodation – Nival Boutique Hotel
- Located in Apollonia
- Delicious restaurant and bar
- Fantastic seasonal pool
Mid-range accommodation – Lighthouse Hotel
- Located in Fros just meters from the beach
- Comfortable rooms
- Swimming pool with a kid-dedicated area
Budget accommodation – Smaragda Rooms and Studios
- Traditional Cycladic property
- Located in Platis Gialos
- Gorgeous gardens and close to the beach
>> Alternatively, you can take a look at the best rental homes in Sifnos
Best Greek Island For a Different Way of Life…Ikaria
Ikaria is known as the island of long life, as, on average, inhabitants live ten years longer than those elsewhere in Europe.
They also have lower levels of illnesses like cancer, heart disease, and dementia. It has been suggested that their diet, habit of taking afternoon naps, and general lifestyle are the reasons for their extended lifespans.
Visitors to Ikaria talk about how different the way of life is. Long, slow conversations, the communal habit of leaving doors unlocked, and not prioritizing setting appointment times.
You can even book yourself onto a longevity retreat to learn the secrets of a longer, healthier life.
Aside from that, check out the local wineries, the healing waters of the town of Therma, and the island’s popular church festivals, the so-called panagiri, which happen throughout the year.
Where to Stay in Ikaria
You can find beautiful accommodation in Ikaria without spending a fortune!
Luxury accommodation – Toxotis Villas
- Ideal seafront holiday home in Armenistis
- Beautifully appointed place with private parking
- Spacious dining area and fully equipped kitchen
Mid-range accommodation – Ikaros Star Hotel
- Located in Gialiskari village overlooking Messakti Beach
- Comfortable place for families
- Private balconies over the beach
Budget accommodation – Stoneworld
- Located under 3 km from Evdilos Beach
- Offering a garden and a shared lounge
- Convenient kitchen facilities available
Best Greek Island For True Beauty…Milos
Milos, in the Cyclades cluster, is known as the island of colors and it’s easy to see why. The island features crystal-clear emerald waters and bright white rock formations.
The reds, oranges, and pinks of the volcanic rocks that line the beaches — not to mention its incredible sunsets — make Milos a beautiful place.
There’s plenty to do while you soak up its beauty, too. Visit Byzantine castle remains, explore the island’s pirate caves and swim in the Fonissa or Neraida waterfalls.
The village of Klima is known for the fact that every house has a different colored door. While the island’s mining museum and the dormant volcano are well worth a visit for geology fans.
Like many of the Greek islands, Milos also has its own food traditions. These include ladenia (a tomato, onion, and oregano-topped flatbread, almost pizza-like) and pitarakia (small cheese and herb-filled pies).
While you’re there, be sure to visit at least one of the island’s 70 beaches. It won’t take long for you to be amazed by its incredible sunsets.
Where to Stay in Milos
Check out these options for an unforgettable vacation in Milos:
Luxury accommodation – Volcano Luxury Suites Milos, Adults Only
- Located about 8 km from the Sulphur Mines
- Offering a restaurant, free private parking, and continental breakfast
- There’s a fitness center, a hammam, and a sauna.
Comfort accommodation – Stylish Home in Adamas
- Big house hosting up to 6 people
- Offering a beautiful terrace and a garden
- Located close to Milos’ best landmarks
Budget accommodation – Efi Studios
- Cycladic property located in Pollonia
- Only 200 meters from Apolonia Beach
- Featuring a beautiful garden
Have you ever been to any of these lesser-known Greek islands?
Read more about Greece
- The Most Fabulous Things to Do in Santorini
- Insanely Useful Travel Guide to Santorini
- Best Family Beaches in Greece for an Unforgettable Vacation!
🛌 Suggested Accommodation in Athens:
- Budget: I recommend a stay in Athens Psiri Hotel, central and with top reviews.
- Mid-range: Stylish studio below the Acropolis in Plaka.
- Luxury: Coco-mat Athens BC offers comfort in a stunning location.
🗺️ More resources to book your trip to Greece:
- 🛫 Search for cheap flights with CheapOAir.
- 🛥️ Find convenient ferry tickets with Ferryhopper.
- 🚕 Book airport transfer with Welcome Pickups.
- 🚘 Rent a car in Crete with Discover Cars.
- 📍 Join adventures and cultural experiences with Get Your Guide.
- Never leave without travel insurance Safety Wing.
- 💳 Carry the best credit card for travel with Wise.
Pin this Guide to these Lesser-Known Greek Islands for Your Adventures!
About my blog:
I moved to Crete in 2016. During these years, I learned much about the island.
In Crete, I juggle being a solo mom, hosting culinary tours, and writing for several travel media.
I’ve written for Greek Reporter, published travel guides about Greece, co-authored DK Eyewitness Top 10 Crete, and had more glasses of frappe than any regular person could ever handle.