Kos is a beautiful Dodecanese island in the Aegean, known for its sandy beaches, fascinating long history, and lavish resorts.
And finding the ideal area to stay in will significantly enhance your holiday as you can experience everything the island offers.
Therefore, this post answers a common question for those planning a vacation on the island: Where to Stay in Kos?!
Disclaimer: Posts include affiliate links to products or services. I might earn a commission if you make a purchase.
11 Best Areas to Stay in Kos
🧿 PLANNING A LAST-MINUTE TRIP TO GREECE?
Be sure to book accommodation and tours in Greece ahead of time to ensure availability!
Where to Stay in Kos
Seeking a relaxing beachfront retreat? A lively hub of nightlife? A cultural exploration of ancient ruins?
Below, you can discover the best areas to stay in Kos, ensuring you make the most of your time on this captivating island.
Kos Town, the capital and main port of the island, is a remarkable historical center offering both ancient and modern attractions.
For instance, its picturesque harbor, medieval castle, and Ottoman-era architecture make it a haven for history lovers.
The town also boasts a plethora of bustling shops, tavernas, and cafés, creating a lively and cosmopolitan atmosphere.
Therefore, if you choose to stay at Kos Town, you can easily explore fascinating archaeological sites, such as the famous Asklepion, the Neratzia Castle, and the ancient Agora, and relax in the town’s charming squares and marina.
Suggested Accommodation in Kos Town
- Affordable – Zoes Apartments Kos Town: This top-rated apartment is less than 1 km from Lambi Beach and 600 metres from Tree of Hippocrates. It features one bedroom, a kitchen with an oven and a microwave, and a seating area.
- Mid-range – Kos Divine Hotel and Suites: Right in the heart of Kos Town, this 4-star hotel is only 10 meters from the beach. It features modern suites, a gym and spa, and a swimming pool. The comfortable suites featurure a kitchenette with fridge.
- Luxury – Kos Aktis Art Hotel: Located on the beachfront, in the centre of Kos Town, this luxurious, minimalist design hotel offers rooms with specially designed balconies and serves a sumptuous, certified Greek breakfast. The on-site bar-restaurant offers Mediterranean and international dishes and a select wine list.
Lambi Beach is just outside Kos Town and is a popular destination for beach lovers seeking a relaxing coastal experience.
The area features crystal-clear turquoise waters and clear sand mixed with pebbles, providing the perfect setting for sunbathing, swimming, and watersports.
Along the beachfront, you’ll also find beach clubs, restaurants, and bars offering refreshing drinks and delicious Mediterranean cuisine.
So, whether you prefer to relax on a sun lounger while soaking up the sun or engage in exhilarating water activities such as windsurfing or jet skiing, Lambi Beach caters to all beachgoers.
The proximity to Kos Town means that visitors can easily venture into the town for sightseeing, dining, or shopping excursions, making Lambi Beach an excellent choice for those seeking relaxation and entertainment in one location.
Suggested Accommodation in Lambi Beach
- Affordable – Kosta Palace: Not far from the center of Kos Town, the place features a rooftop terrace, a swimming pool, and bright rooms with stunning views of the Aegean Sea and the medieval castle. Some units also have a kitchenette with a microwave oven.
- Mid-range – Spitaki by the sea: Just 100 metres from Lambi Beach and 1.4 km from Kos Town Beach, the property features sea and garden views. It comes with one bedroom, a kitchen with a dishwasher and an oven, a seating area, and an outdoor dining area.
- Luxury – Lango Design Hotel & Spa, Adults Only: This beachfront, design hotel offers accommodation near Kos Town. It has a seasonal outdoor pool, a private beach area, two on-site bars, a wine cellar, and a restaurant.
Tigaki is an enchanting resort town offering a more laid-back and tranquil alternative to the bustling atmosphere of Kos Town.
Renowned for its pristine sandy beach stretching several kilometers, Tigaki is a paradise for sun-seekers. On the other hand, the calm, shallow waters make it an ideal choice for families with children.
Beyond its stunning shoreline, Tigaki village exudes a peaceful charm with its traditional whitewashed buildings and quaint streets.
The town is dotted with local tavernas, serving Greek cuisine and cozy bars and shops, allowing you to immerse in authentic island experiences.
Serene ambiance plus proximity to breathtaking salt pans and nature reserves, make Tigaki the right place for a relaxing stay in Kos.
Suggested Accommodation in Tigaki
- Affordable – Golden Sun: Just 400 meters from the beach, the hotel has an outdoor pool, a snack bar, and a restaurant. Studios have balconies, and a kitchenette. For kids there’s a pool is available with a slide, a playground, swings and other facilities.
- Mid-range – Tropical Sol: Only 200 meters from the sea and 10 km from the Kos Town, the hotel featues rooms with air-conditioning and balcony with garden and sea views. There is an on-site cafe bar, a snack bar, a swimming pool, a playground, and ping-pong facilities.
- Luxury – Gaia in Style – Adults Only: Located 13 km from Kos International Airport, the property offers an outdoor pool, a sun terrace, table tennis, and a restaurant.
Marmari, a picturesque coastal village, offers a tranquil retreat for those seeking a more secluded and peaceful atmosphere.
It’s particularly famous for its stunning stretch of white sandy beaches and crystal-clear waters, making it a haven for beach lovers and water sports enthusiasts.
Whether you’re lounging on the sun-drenched shore, swimming in the refreshing sea, or trying your hand at windsurfing or sailing, this idyllic paradise has it all.
Marmari also boasts a picturesque town center with traditional tavernas, bars, and shops, allowing you to immerse yourself in the local culture and gastronomy.
Suggested Accommodation in Marmari
- Affordable – Anthia Apartments: Surrounded by a landscaped garden, the units offers rooms with kitchenette and air conditioning, 250 meters from the beach. Continental breakfast can be enjoyed daily and a playground is available for the children.
- Mid-range – Hotel Esperia: Set 400 meters from the beach, the hotel is 14km away from the city of Kos. Its sunlit rooms have spacious balconies facing the pool or the garden. Sports facilities at the hotel include tennis and basketball courts, 2 swimming pools (including one for children) and a playground area.
- Luxury – E-GEO Easy Living Resort: Only 200 meters from Marmari Beach, the 4-star resort provides offers a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, free private parking, a fitness center and a garden. There isa restaurant serving American, Greek and Mediterranean cuisine and a spa center.
If you’re looking for a hidden gem for a tranquil escape, Mastichari should be your destination. It’s a charming fishing village known for its picturesque harbor, sandy beaches, and mesmerizing sunsets.
Mastichari Beach, with its crystal-clear waters and soft golden sand, is the perfect spot to relax and unwind in a peaceful setting.
Aside from its natural beauty, Mastichari also offers a range of water activities, including windsurfing and sailing, making it a popular destination for adventurous travelers.
Additionally, the village features a laid-back charm, with whitewashed buildings, traditional tavernas, and local shops, creating a more authentic experience away from the crowds.
Suggested Accommodation in Mastichari
- Affordable – XeVa Studio: Right in the centre of Mastichari, this renovated apartment, provides air-conditioned accommodation with a balcony 400 meters from Mastichari Beach. It features one bedroom, a living room, and a kitchen with an oven and a microwave.
- Mid-range – Mastichari Bay Hotel: This 4-star resort is nestled on the edge of the village of Mastichari and enjoys a waterfront location. It features a pool surrounded by beautiful gardens, and rooms with views of the bay and the surrounding Greek islands. The on-site restaurant serves breakfast and dinner buffet while fruits and vegetables come from the hotel’s own organically grown farms.
- Luxury – Villa Eos Mastichari: The villa has top-reviews and features an outdoor swimming pool and a garden close to Mastichari Beach. The spacious villa has three bedrooms, a living room, an equipped kitchen, and four bathroom. A minimarket is available at the villa. Kos International Airport is just 6 km away.
If you want an immersive cultural experience, Kefalos, a scenic coastal village, is ideal for your holiday in Kos.
Known for its pristine beaches, including the renowned Kefalos Beach, Kefalos attracts beach lovers worldwide. That’s why it offers a wide range of beachfront accommodations, from luxury resorts to cozy apartments, ensuring a comfortable stay for all travelers.
Beyond its stunning shoreline, Kefalos boasts a rich historical background, with ancient ruins and traditional Greek architecture dotting the village’s landscape.
For instance, you can soak in the serene atmosphere of the Agios Stefanos Monastery or stroll along the quaint streets, taking in the local charm.
Suggested Accommodation in Kefalos
- Affordable – Chrysoula Hotel: Located 150 meters from Kefalos Beach, they offer self-catering apartments with sea or garden views, a large swimming pool, and a snack bar. Units are simply furnished a and feature a kitchenette equipped with a microwave and mini fridge. For kids, there’s a games room with Playstation and billiards.
- Mid-range – Hermes Hotel: Just 650 meters from the beach, this family-run hotel is on the hillside of Kefalos overlooking the Aegean Sea, surrounded by a garden and it has a pool with a sun terrace. Continental breakfast is served daily at the restaurant.
- Luxury – Vicky’s House: Located in Kefalos, the property features a garden and free parking on-site. The air-conditioned apartment has two bedrooms, a fireplace, and a fully equipped kitchen. Kos International Airport is 15 km from the accommodation.
Agios Stefanos is a small village just a 10-minute drive from Kefalos, offering a serene and picturesque getaway.
Nestled between rolling hills and the dazzling Aegean Sea, Agios Stefanos boasts a stunning beach with clear turquoise waters and soft golden sand, an ideal spot for sunbathing and swimming.
The village also has a charming atmosphere with quaint, whitewashed houses, traditional tavernas, and local shops. At the same time, the nearby countryside invites exploration, with walking trails leading to scenic viewpoints and ancient ruins.
Additionally, Agios Stefanos is near the famous Plaka Forest, a natural reserve known for its diverse wildlife and enchanting landscapes.
Therefore, Agios Stefanos is a great area to stay if you wish to escape the hustle and bustle and seek a peaceful and idyllic retreat.
Suggested Accommodation in Agios Stefanos
- Affordable – Fotini Studios: The holiday home and studios are 400 meters from Kefalos Beach and 500 meters from Agios Stefanos Beach. Units include a kitchen, a balcony and a seating area. The studios offer airport transfers, while a bicycle rental service is also available.
- Mid-range – Maritsa: Located 15 km from the airport and about 40 km from Kos Town, the self-catered apartments are just 300 meters fro Kefalos Beach and the center of the village.
- Luxury – Royal Bay: Located between Kefalos and Agios Stefanos, the beachfront hotel features a pool and a restaurant. The stay includes American buffet breakfast. A children’s playground is featured for the kids’ entertainment. There are bus-stops, restaurants, bars, and mini markets nearby.
Kardamena is a lively coastal town with entertainment, stunning beaches, and vibrant nightlife, all ingredients that make it one of the best places to stay in Kos!
Specifically, it’s known for its long sandy beach and crystal-clear waters, where you can spend your days lounging, snorkeling, or indulging in thrilling activities like jet skiing and parasailing.
The town also buzzes with energy, with its many beachfront bars, restaurants, and nightclubs coming alive after sunset.
Kardamena is steeped in history, with the whitewashed Church of the Nativity, the remnants of ancient ruins, and a rugged hilltop fortress overlooking the town.
Suggested Accommodation in Kardamena
- Affordable – Grand Blue Beach Hotel: About 20 km from the port of Kos, this hotel has two outdoor pools and rooms with sea, pool, or garden views. It offers an all-inclusive meal plan in all the hotel’s bars and restaurants plus unlimited number of visits to the Lido Waterpark.
- Mid-range – Nissia Kamares: Just 3 minutes from the resort centre of Kardamena, the complex, built in traditional Greek island style, features self-catering studios and apartments amongst lushly green gardens.
- Luxury – Cabana Blu Hotel & Suites: This 5-star beachfront hotel has a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, a garden, a private beach area, a terrace and a bar. Rooms include a coffee machine and a fridge. The accommodation offers a buffet or continental breakfast and there’s also restaurant serving Mediterranean and Thai cuisine.
Nestled amidst lush greenery, Agios Fokas boasts a stunning pebble beach with crystal-clear waters, providing a peaceful retreat for sunbathing and swimming away from the crowds.
The village’s charming ambiance, with traditional Greek architecture, whitewashed houses, and local tavernas serving delicious seafood dishes, allows you to soak in Kos’ cultural heritage.
Furthermore, you can take leisurely walks along the coast, admiring panoramic views of the Aegean Sea, or venture further inland to explore the rolling hills and enjoy hikes in the surrounding nature.
The thermal springs near Agios Fokas are also a popular attraction, offering a unique opportunity to indulge in therapeutic mineral-rich baths.
Suggested Accommodation in Agios Fokas
- Affordable Luxury – Oceanis Beach & Spa Resort: This adults-only hotel is right on the beach in Psalidi and offers 2 outdoor swimming pools and 2 tennis courts. The modern rooms have each a balcony or terrace overlooking the sea or the gardens.
- Mid-range – Michelangelo Resort and Spa: Rising above Agios Fokas Beach, this ultramodern 5-star hotel offers, a tennis court, 3 outdoor pools with panoramic decked terraces and rooms with furnished sea-view verandas. A la carte dishes are available for breakfast and dinner.
- Luxury – KOIA All – Suite Well Being Resort – Adults Only: The 5-star resort features accommodation with a seasonal outdoor swimming pool, free private parking, a fitness center and a garden. It offers airport transfers and a restaurant serving Greek cuisine.
Situated just a few kilometers from Kos Town, Psalidi offers natural beauty with its pebble beaches, crystal-clear waters, and plenty of water sports activities.
You can relax on the golden shores, swim in the refreshing sea, or try your hand at activities such as windsurfing or paddleboarding.
Additionally, the village is well-equipped with various accommodations, from luxury resorts to family-friendly hotels, so you’ll have a comfortable stay.
Furthermore, Psalidi’s proximity to Kos Town allows easy access to multiple attractions, including historic sites, vibrant markets, and bustling nightlife.
In other words, Psalidi makes for an excellent choice for those seeking a relaxing coastal getaway with the convenience of nearby amenities.
Suggested Accommodation in Psalidi
- Affordable – G&M family Lake and sea view: Surrounded by mountain views, this sustainable apartment with free private parking and a sun terrace is close to Psalidi Beach and 5.7 km from Kos Port.
- Mid-range – Andromeda Hotel Apartment: The place features self-catered accommodation surrounded by gardens. It offers an outdoor pool, a sun terrace, and a pool-view snack bar only 50 meter from the beach.
- Luxury – Kipriotis Maris Suites: This 5-star hotel in Psalidi is just 150 meters from the beach and 3 km from Kos Town. It offers accommodation with balconies, a pool with sun terrace, a bar-restaurant and a fitness center.
Asfendiou is a tranquil mountain village in the heart of Kos, offering a unique and authentic experience for travelers seeking an alternative Greek island retreat.
Surrounded by lush green landscapes and gorgeous island views, Asfendiou is a haven for nature lovers and those looking to escape the tourist crowds and is an ideal spot to explore Kos’ picturesque countryside with its winding trails filled with olive groves and fragrant vineyards.
Asfendiou also provides a glimpse into the island’s rich history, with historical landmarks such as the Palaio Pyli Castle.
Although Asfendiou is tucked away in the mountains, it still offers easy access to other parts of Kos, making it an ideal base for those seeking a peaceful retreat with the opportunity to explore the rest of the island.
Suggested Accommodation in Asfendiou
- Affordable – Traditional House in Asfendiou: Gorgeous traditional house in Asfendiou featuring a garden and barbecue facilities. The villa has one bedroom, a living room, and a fully equipped kitchen with an oven and a coffee machine.
- Mid-range – AnamneZia Luxury Suites: Only 14 km from Kos Port, these suites feature sea views, a patio, a swimming pool, and free private parking.
- Luxury – Orea Ellas Kos – Deluxe Residences: This recently-renovated property with mountain views, a terrace, and a garden is 5.9 km from Paleo Pyli Castle.
Final Thoughts about Where to Stay in Kos
When planning a trip to the island of Kos, choosing the right area to stay is crucial to ensure a memorable experience.
After all, from cultural exploration to beachside relaxation, Kos has something to offer every traveler, making it a truly remarkable destination in the Greek islands.
Read more about the Greek Islands
- 9+1 Best Greek Islands for Mature Travelers That You Have to Visit!
- Best Areas to Stay in Rhodes and Suggested Hotels on the Island
- The Most Amazing Greek Islands for Families for a Thrilling Holiday in Greece
- Top 12 Beaches in Rhodes That You Should See!
Pin for Later: Where to Stay in Kos – Best Areas and Hotels
About my blog:
I moved to Crete in 2016. During these years, I learned much about the island.
In Crete, I juggle being a solo mom, hosting culinary tours, and writing for several travel media.
I’ve written for Greek Reporter, published travel guides about Greece, co-authored DK Eyewitness Top 10 Crete, and had more glasses of frappe than any regular person could ever handle.