The island of Crete is an exciting destination and a fantastic place to visit on your own. It’s fairly easy to tour the island trusting a complete travel guide and a good map. You’ll just need the right resources to enjoy the best that Crete has to offer. The Tiny Book’s practical travel guides to Crete are just what you’ve been looking for!
In this section of the blog, you’ll be able to find every unique and practical guide I’ve created to make your trip to Crete much easier. All your Crete resources in just one place for you to bookmark and read once you’re on the island!
This article may have affiliate links to products and services that I use. If you make a purchase through these links, it might earn me a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Generic travel guides to Crete
Practical Tips to Plan a Trip to Crete
This is the most accurate and complete travel guide to Crete you’ll ever come across. It includes every detail you need to plan a trip to Crete.
Guide for Family Holidays in Crete
A fantastic resource for family travel in Crete. It includes dozens of places to visit and things to do with kids in Crete.
How to Travel to and from Crete
Everything you need to know to reach Crete by plane or by ferry. Tips for those traveling from the rest of Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, and more.
Accommodation Guide: Crete
This travel guide includes a comprehensive view of every region, city, and village where you can stay in Crete.
Guide to Driving and Car Rental in Crete
Traveling by car in Crete is a spectacular way to discover the island. Follow this step-by-step guide to rent a car and drive on the island.
3 Weeks in Crete: Itinerary Guide
If you’re lucky enough to have 3 whole weeks to spend on the island, this itinerary can show you how to better organize your time on Crete.
Travel guides to Crete’s top landmarks
50 Unmissable Things to Do in Crete
This is a unique article including the 50 best places you can enjoy in Crete.
Crete’s Stunning Archaeological Sites
In this travel guide I list the most important archaeological sites to check on the island.
Gorgeous Cretan Villages to Visit
Check these hidden and magical villages that treasure the best of Crete.
Fantastic Monasteries and Religious Sites
With this guide you can learn about the unique historic monasteries of Crete.
Travel Guide to Knossos Palace
Super complete guide to discover the Palace of Knossos on your own.
Explore the Holy Monastery of Arkadi
Arkadi is one of Crete’s best-known landmarks. Don’t miss a visit.
Best Beaches in Crete
Just one practical travel guide to every Cretan beach worth a visit.
Discover Spinalonga Island
The former leper colony of Spinalonga is a top day trip if you’re exploring Lasithi.
Top Nudist Beaches in Crete
Those who sunbathe without clothes will find this guide particularly helpful!
Curious & interesting travel guides Crete
Fun Facts about Crete
This article gathers unique and interesting fact you probably didn’t know about!
Movies about Crete
Nothing like a good film set in Crete to get you in the right pre-trip mood.
Books Set on Crete
Chose a great book about Crete, a travel guide, or a book for kids to be ready to travel
Other resources to keep handy
How to Plan a Road Trip in Crete
Use this travel guide to plan every step of your road trip in Crete.
Useful Resources to Travel in Crete
Every resource in just one page: Hotels, insurance, car rental and more!
Check this page for more guides
This page includes a link to every useful travel guide to Crete!
Don’t forget to check Crete’s regions
Useful resources to visit Crete
Coming to Crete any time soon? These fantastic resources will help you organize the trip!
- Start by heading right to my post with helpful tips to plan a trip to Crete, which goes over every detail you need to know, from when it’s best to travel to what documents you need, or how to get a SIM card. You can also check my post to plan a Crete trip with kids!
- Probably, you’re also planning to spend some time at the beach on the island. Check my guide to the best beaches in Crete to choose the one you like the most. Read this article to decide what area suits best to stay in Crete, or check this post is you still don’t know all the things you can do in Crete.
- Finally, to have updated information about the island, join my private group on Facebook about Crete and download a copy of my West Crete Travel Guide to have it always with you on the island!
Finally, make sure you’ve got everything you for a hassle-free trip!
- I never move around the island with any of these… my Osprey backpack has been the most loyal travel partner over the last 5 years. It’s sturdy, light, roomy, and super comfortable! I just love it. To visit the old town, archaeological sites, and museums, this little crossbody bag is always around.
- When driving around Crete, I always pack my Michelin map, clear, accurate, and easy to read and my Nikon D7200, I’m lost without any of them. In summer I also carry good sunscreen lotion, the sun on the island can be pretty aggressive.
- Greece, and especially Crete, is a fairly safe destination, however, I’m sure you know that it’s always better to travel with an insurance policy for complete peace of mind. My favorite? World Nomads. Already left home? Buy your travel insurance online now!
- Always bring with you a good travel guide to Crete! The best Crete Travel Guide I’ve found so far is the one published by Lonely Planet. It has all the information you need.
- Airfares to Crete can vary immensely from one airline to the other, make sure you always compare ticket prices with a powerful search engine. Getting to Crete can be really comfortable with an airplane, but nothing beats the romantic experience of traveling by sea. I always choose Direct Ferries to visit other Greek islands or to travel directly to Crete from Athens. It has a powerful search engine to get the right ticket you need!
- If I need to book accommodation in Crete or anywhere else, I personally use Booking.com. Their Genius Loyalty Programme allows me to find better fees. As they say, the more you stay with them, the more rewards you get.
- Road trips in Crete are the most authentic way to explore the island. Find the cheapest rental car using a good car rental search engine. Discover Cars searches over 500 trusted rental companies for you to find the best deal. Compare prices for rental cars in Crete here.
- Sometimes, the best way to get to know a place better and make the most of your time on Crete is to join an organized tour. GetYourGuide has a great selection of proposals that help you save time and money. From cooking lessons to archaeological site tours, skip-the-line attractions, and even airport transfer!
Do you have everything you need? Then you just have to get ready to discover Crete, Greece’s most beautiful island!
Are you ready to explore Crete? It can be the trip of your lifetime. Get in touch if you need extra help to plan your itinerary and join our Crete Travel Group on Facebook. Or check this guide if you’re touring West Crete. You’ll find detailed info about where to go, what to see, where to eat, and more!
- Further reading
If you’re curious about traveling on Crete and all the things you can do on the island, check the 50 unmissable things to do in Crete. For a better way to discover all those things, simply head to the 3-week itinerary on Crete, it can be easily adapted for 2 or even just 1 week on the island. Those wanting to explore more the Rethymnon region, it would be a great idea to check the best things to do in Rethymnon or to discover one of the best day trips in Rethymnon: Arkadi Monastery. If road trips are your thing, then check out this stunning day trip around the Lasithi Plateau, in East Crete, it tells you all you can do in the area.
Matala makes a great road trip if you’re staying in Heraklion, so why not check all the things to do in Matala? On your way there, don’t overlook the beautiful villages in Crete you could discover. Heraklion is known for being the capital of the island, but also for hosting Crete’s most important archaeological site, the wonderful Knossos Palace.
Is Crete on your travel plans?
Let me know in the comments below!
About the Author
Hola! I’m Gabi. Welcome to The Tiny Book – Crete Travel Blog! I moved to Crete to explore the island all year round. I love taking pictures and driving on the mountain roads of Crete. I’m a beach freak and on this island I’ve found heaven on earth!